At the start of wintertime in 2017, a longtime homeless provider announced that they were closing the Men’s Emergency Shelter. This was the only emergency homeless shelter in Bismarck-Mandan. On October 27, 2017, United Way stepped up to make sure no one was sleeping out in the cold, meeting nightly with homeless men, women, and children. We started an emergency homeless shelter to offer a warm and safe place, meals, basic necessities, and linkages to services. We are providing a safe and supportive environment, helping our most vulnerable population get back on their feet.
Recently, 450 Burleigh County residents and others attended a Burleigh County Commission meeting relating to refugee resettlement. While there was a variety of viewpoints, one theme rang true from almost everyone: our community needs to do a better job of taking care of the homeless and others who are less fortunate in our midst.
Missouri Slope Areawide United Way is ground zero for the homeless in our community. We have an emergency homeless shelter that is open 7 days a week, which is so critical this time of year. And we link clients to supportive services in our community.
- From October 2017 through December 2018 United Way's Emergency Homeless Shelter provided 15,716 nights of shelter to 762 men, women, and children.
- Over 70% of United Way homeless clients served are from North Dakota.
- From July 2018 through December 2018, 96 United Way homeless clients moved into permanent housing.
For those of you who attended the meeting, and for those of you who agreed with those who attended the meeting, we ask you to join us in Putting Our Money Where Our Mouth Is . . . for Homelessness. We are launching a 7-day campaign to raise $100,000 for the shelter to expand services to be staffed 24/7. Join us—every dollar helps!
- Donate $762 for the 762 men, women, and children who have stayed in the Emergency Homeless shelter since October 2017.
- Donate $450 for the 450 people who attended the county meeting, many of whom, from various perspectives, asked for the community to support homelessness.
- Donate $96 to honor 96 United Way homeless clients who moved into permanent housing.
- Donate $70 as 70% of United Way homeless clients are from ND.
- Donate $26 for the 26 months the United Way has operated the Emergency Homeless Shelter.
- Donate $7 as the United Way Emergency Homeless shelter is open 7 days a week.
Also, we are in need of more than monetary donations. Please consider donating NEW/unused:
- Toilet paper
- Hand soap
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant wipes
- Breakfast snacks (ex. granola bars, oatmeal, and fruit cups)
- Shaving cream
- Sleepwear ( shorts, t-shirts)
- Hats, gloves, scarfs
- Shampoo, body wash, and conditioner
All donations can be dropped off at our main office: 515 N 4th Street.
Thank you for your compassion and support. Join us in problem-solving and filling these community gaps. Every dollar helps!
UNITED WAY EMERGENCY HOMELESS SHELTER DETAILS
Intake services are from 8:00pm to 9:00pm, 7 days a week. Appointments will be scheduled for linkages to services to assist with other individual needs. Meals are served on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays at 6:30pm - opposite nights of other community providers.
Our United Way Emergency Shelter is located at: 1140 S. 12th St. in Bismarck, ND.
To contact the shelter, call: 701-401-5606.
For additional information or to learn more about volunteer opportunities, contact our office at: 701-255-3601 or email email@example.com